NOTICE OF COMMUNITY MEETING
Monday, June 11, 2012 – 7:00 p.m.
William Lea Room, Leaside Memorial Gardens
1073 Millwood Rd.
PROPOSED RETAIL DEVELOPMENT
70, 80 Wicksteed Avenue, 99 Vanderhoof at Laird
Smart Centres Inc. has recently proposed the development of the above (mostly vacant) land on Wicksteed Ave. Their proposal calls for approximately 147,000 square feet of retail space, including a “big box” anchor store large enough to accommodate a Wal-Mart. The proposal would require amendments to the Zoning Bylaw.
Leaside Unite and the LPOA are hosting this meeting to provide information and a forum for the benefit of the broader Leaside community. There will be several guest speakers and a full opportunity for questions and comments. The meeting will:
- Provide a full description of the proposed development
- Describe the required process for city approvals, including the Zoning Bylaw Amendment
- Highlight our specific concerns regarding traffic, economic impact on surrounding businesses, density, and design
- Give local perspective on Leaside character and heritage
- Provide an opportunity for all present to ask questions and provide comments
Leaside is a closely-knit neighbourhood community with a wonderful history and a
unique character. We are concerned that the current proposal will threaten the livability and safety of our community. The process is moving quickly – please come out to hear and be heard!
For more information, see www.leasideunite.com and join our mailing list.