You must be hearing the increasing chorus of opposition to the Ford government cutbacks and changes on a variety of matters affecting Toronto.
One change that especially concerns us is Bill 108: More Homes, More Choice Act, which includes changes to the Planning Act, the Development Charges Act, and the Ontario Heritage Act that:
- reduce opportunities for public input in local planning decisions
- reduce the City’s ability to plan for a livable, vibrant community
- despite the Act’s title, do not in fact create more homes and more choice
We need to tell the the government:
- NO to returning to the planning tribunal the powers of the former Ontario Municipal Board (OMB)
- NO to combining development charges (which pay for both hard services required by growth such as sewers and water, but also soft services like child care), Section 37, and Parks levies into one capped charge
- NO to reducing the planning decision timelines for city review and public comment
These changes clearly benefit developers, not residents. We cannot sit back and accept the loss of our rights — these are not efficiencies. We need a massive outpouring of concern from residents across Toronto and Ontario.
For more details on the impacts on the City of Bill 108 go to toronto.ca/bill108
For the City Planner’s report and slide presentation on the proposed changes, see:
- May 14, 2019: Report from the City Manager and Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning on Proposed Bill 108 (More Homes, More Choice Act, 2019) and the Housing Supply Action Plan – Preliminary City Comments (CC7.3)
- May 15, 2019: Presentation from the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning on Bill 108 – More Homes, More Choice Act, 2019
Please call, write or email the following BY JUNE 1, 2019:
The Honourable Doug Ford, MPP
Premier of Ontario
823 Albion Road
Etobicoke, ON M94 1A3
Tel. 416 745-2859
The Honourable Steve Clark, MPP
Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing
Suite 101-100 Strowger Blvd.
Brockville, ON K6V 5J0
Toll-free 1-800 267-4408
Tel. 613 342-9522
Thank you for your support for actions to maintain good planning in our Province.
Geoff Kettel and Carol Burtin-Fripp